Sunspot Record: Including "Maunder Minimum"
- The Maunder Minimum was associated with the Little Ice Age.
- The Dalton Minimum was associated with significant cooling. This is shown in the following chart.
Winter Severity Index
- The Dalton Minimum was associated with the last serious phase of cooling.
- The Maunder Minimum was associated with even lower temperatures.
Sunspot Record: Cycle 1 to 24
- Note the highs set by Cycle 18, 19, 21 and 22.
- 19 was the highest on record.
- This was associated with the former warming trend.
- The decline has been impressive.
- It is the sharpest decline since the one into Cycle 6 and 7 - called the "Dalton Minimum".
- The trend of declining solar activity has been associated with climate cooling.
- Been going on for millions of years.
- Note the series of lower peaks.
- The April number was 38, down sharply from the March posting at 54.9.
- Cycles 23 and 24 are setting the lowest solar activity since the Dalton Minimum.