• 2 hours The Top Tech Stocks Of The Year
  • 17 hours America’s Workforce Elderly Workforce To Double By 2028
  • 23 hours Toyota Tests Solar-Powered Prius
  • 2 days Why The Gold Rally Flatlined
  • 2 days The Uranium Sector Can’t Catch A Break
  • 3 days Upcoming Fed Meeting Has Investors On Edge
  • 3 days Global Gold Sector Outlines Responsible Mining Principles
  • 4 days China’s Giant Vampire Fund Loses $120B
  • 4 days McDonalds To Roll Out Robot Drive-Thru Clerks
  • 4 days Savvy Investors Are Betting Big On This Little Data Company
  • 5 days How The Government Is Wasting Tax Money This Year
  • 5 days Supply Concerns Halt Expansion On Tianqi Lithium Plant
  • 5 days The World’s Biggest IPO Is Almost Here
  • 6 days The Relatively Of Money And Happiness
  • 6 days Wall Street Unfazed By Recession Fears
  • 6 days SoftBank Urges WeWork To Pause IPO Plans
  • 7 days Anti-Aging Market To Hit $55 Billion
  • 7 days JPM, Morgan Stanley Take Advisory Roles In Aramco IPO
  • 7 days Are Bonds In A Bubble?
  • 8 days The Unknown Media Giant Taking The World By Storm
Mining.com

Mining.com

Mining.com

MINING.com is a web-based global mining publication focusing on news and commentary about mining and mineral exploration. The site is a one-stop-shop for mining industry…

Contact Author

  1. Home
  2. Commodities
  3. Precious Metals

Gold Majors Battle It Out Over Takeover Bid

Gold Majors Battle

Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) rejected Monday rival Barrick Gold’s (TSX:ABX) (NYSE:GOLD) all-stock $18 billion hostile takeover offer, but left the door slightly open by countering with the terms of a deal to merge their operations in Nevada.

Chief executive Gary Goldberg said Newmont’s board had concluded that its planned $10 billion takeover of Canada’s Goldcorp (TSX:G) (NYSE:GG) was the best deal for shareholders.

“The combination with Goldcorp is significantly more accretive to Newmont’s shareholders on all relevant metrics compared to Barrick’s proposal, even when factoring in Barrick’s own synergy estimates,” he said. “Realizing value through Barrick’s proposal for Newmont’s shareholders hinges entirely on a new management team that lacks global operating experience and is only two months into its own transformational integration.”

The offer rejection, anticipated by analysts, could consolidate the Colorado-based miner as the world's biggest gold producer, with Barrick grabbing the second place and Newcrest the third.

Getting nasty

Newmont’s contra-proposal sees its Toronto-based rival holding a 55 percent interest in a Nevada joint venture, while Newmont-Goldcorp would have a 45 percent stake.

Barrick and Newmont have held merger talks every decade or so for almost thirty years, with the last one blowing at the 11th hour in 2014.

A combination of the two would create the world’s No.1 gold miner with annual production of more than 10 million ounces. However, the Canadian firm has not offered a premium, telling shareholders they will benefit from the value created by merging the two companies.

Hostilities between the two companies have grown since Barrick’s approach last month. On top of the chief executives trading insults, Newmont has now released private communications between Barrick new boss Mark Bristow and Goldcorp chairman Ian Telfer in which he praises the Vancouver-based miner’s “strong portfolio” of assets in “world-class districts”. Bristow has previously said that Goldcorp has just one top tier gold asset in its portfolio, which is operated by Barrick.

By Mining.com

More Top Reads From Safehaven.com:

Back to homepage

Leave a comment

Leave a comment